Thursday, October 4, 2007

Pushing Daises

Well I was pleasantly surprised last night when I watched the first episode of the new show Pushing Daisies. It was almost as if I was pushed into a land mixed with Tim Burton, Dr. Seuss, and Roald Dahl. It was quirky, bright, colorful, humor was dry, and the story line interesting.

The premise of the story is this guy Ned (of course his name is Ned!) and Ned can raise people from the dead, but only for one minute, after that someone elses life will be taken. If this person is touched again by him or they touch him they will die, never to be touched again, and never to be raised from the dead. I think it's interesting because it brings up the issue of touch, the promise of a juicy story line because there is all this tension about him and his friend "Chuck" who is a girl and he raises her from the dead.

I loved the colors in the show. They were bright and there were certain scenes where the quirky waitress from the Pie shop, Neds shop and profession, wheres the same robe as the wallpaper and couch fabric. There were shots of the main characters as children who imagine crushing a make believe world as they are huge child-like monsters. I love anything that merges child like wonder into adult life situations. I think that's why I love Tim Burton's work so much or the stories of Dahl. Which, by the way, Wes Anderson is making an animated story about The Fantastic Mr. Fox.

I am looking forward to seeing where this show goes. I hope people watch it because most shows on TV that I end up liking end up getting kicked off the air (Studio 60 and Arrested Development). Dry humor and quirky plot lines don't go over well on American TV. It is disappointing...let's be honest. So here is to hoping for this show to survive. I like being pushed into other worlds and other ways of seeing life. Chuck sells honey that she makes and the money goes to the homeless. It's funny...quirky. I guess thats a lot like me.

No comments: