Wednesday, May 2, 2007

a Renegade of funk?

I attended the Coachella music fest on Sunday. It was hot, I got burnt, had some good conversations. I could leave it at that but I that doesn't sound like one of my blogs.

Music at an outdoor festival is interesting. The culture of people who show up is not your typical show. People are excited, they wear the t-shirt of why they paid the extra hundred dollars to come to their show. People feel like they can do whatever the hell they want to make the blistering heat somewhat bearable. I started off attending why I came to this event in the first place, to see Erica Froman do some singing with Anathallo. Great set, high-energy, played a couple of new songs that were fun. Two words: hand bells.

My highlights included Explosions in the Sky. Literally a taste of heaven. This band live in the heat had more energy than kids running towards the ice cream man. They were intense, light, and overall delightful. It's one of the few bands I have seen live that I can feel their music in my chest. I wanted the music to surround me, which it did and it felt good. There was a couple of moments where I wanted it so loud that my ears would heart. That would be great, though unhealthy. During the set I realized how I would replace this with church anytime. I felt so connected with the spirit, something bigger than me, and things (for just a small moment) were okay. Things are going well and I am sure things will continue to move and progress.

The Roots were amazing. They had a tuba dropping fat beats. The set was hot, high energy, and many songs of the familiar.

What this will end on is the understanding of Rage Against the Machine. I will preface the next few statements with prior to this I felt that I had received a sunburn and that I was dehydrated. I puked alot, rested my eyes and then went to attend what would be something I thought would be memorable. It was cool to know that so many people were there for Rage Against the Machine. Though when they played I was immensely disappointed. It was if I knew that they were there and they got paid to do it. There was no band interaction. There was no fire. There was rage and intensity from Zack but overall I have seen more energy in a church basement with sweaty hardcore kids standing around with bandanas over their faces.

It was interesting to know the meaning making behind Rage Against the Machine. Their intensity of their revolution filled lyrics have pushed boundaries of rock that hadn't been pushed in quite a long time. They, in a sense, were calling for a revolutionary. Is is revolutionary for blonde, tubed topped girls, dancing and pumping their fist to every word that was memorized in jr. high against? When is it revolution? Do we hear or do we just follow the pact towards what is popular?

Are we ready for revolution? or does the idea just sound really nice in between Rancid and Rod Stewart?

No comments: