Saturday, March 22, 2008

Movie List


I am on Spring Break and have had this overwhelming desire to unwind, process, and have an absence of plans, obligations, and expectations. So I have watched movies. Lots of them.

Flight of the Concords--Amazing. Love this show, couldn't (and still) stop laughing about the randomness of these New Zealanders. My favorite episode was about Race....I laughed for almost the whole show.

Episodes of Sex and the City--Standby favorite show. I like the relationships and help me think/process what I would want (and not want) in a relationship.

Sliding Doors--One of the few chick flick movies that I can watch and not want to vomit a little in my mouth. It's cute. Gwenyth Paltrow is adorable and the thought of fate is intriguing.

Pride and Prejudice-- One of the most beautiful films that I watch as my go to movie. It is sweepingly beautiful and the story classic.

Run Lola Run:I love this opening quote:
Mankind, probably the most mysterious species on our planet. A mystery of open questions. Who are we? Where do we come from? Where are we going? How do we know what we believe to know? Why do we believe anything at all? Innumerable questions looking for an answer, an answer which will raise the next question and the following answer will raise a following question and so on and so forth. But in the end, isn't it always the same question and always the same answer?


Big Fish Using my imagination is one of my favorite things that has evoked my passions. What a great story.

Stranger than Fiction: One of my favorite movies as of late. I think it gives me hope for a future that is so unknown...

As Harold took a bite of Bavarian sugar cookie, he finally felt as if everything was going to be ok. Sometimes, when we lose ourselves in fear and despair, in routine and constancy, in hopelessness and tragedy, we can thank God for Bavarian sugar cookies. And, fortunately, when there aren't any cookies, we can still find reassurance in a familiar hand on our skin, or a kind and loving gesture, or subtle encouragement, or a loving embrace, or an offer of comfort, not to mention hospital gurneys and nose plugs, an uneaten Danish, soft-spoken secrets, and Fender Stratocasters, and maybe the occasional piece of fiction. And we must remember that all these things, the nuances, the anomalies, the subtleties, which we assume only accessorize our days, are effective for a much larger and nobler cause. They are here to save our lives. I know the idea seems strange, but I also know that it just so happens to be true. And, so it was, a wristwatch saved Harold Crick.


Labyrinth: David Bowie sings. David Bowie dances. David Bowie in tights. Muppets.

A Series of Unfortunate Events: This movie was cute though one of my least favorites in the bunch but I really loved this ending quote:

At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say that there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough. And what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events may, in fact, be the first steps of a journey. We hope to have you back in our arms soon, darlings, but in case this letter arrives before our return, know that we love you. It fills us with pride to know that no matter what happens in this life, that you three will take care of each other, with kindness and bravery and selflessness, as you always have. And remember one thing, my darlings, and never forget it: that no matter where we are, know that as long as you have each other, you have your family. And you are home.'

Once I really feel calm when I watch this film. I LOVE the ending. I love the messiness. I love the simplicity. The soundtrack is great.

Chocolat: Again one of my favorite movies. I love this quote from the film. I think it's great and kind and wonderful. It draws out the simple beauty in life.

From the Priest: Our Lord... His Humanity... how He lived His life here on earth. His kindness, His tolerance... we can't go 'round measuring our goodness by what we don't do, by what we deny ourselves, what we resist and who we exclude... we've go to measure goodness by what we embrace, what we create, and who we include.

Spanglish: Cute movie. Totally LA. The need and desire was cute.

The Hours: One of the BEST movies of the weekend. I am still processing and deserves its own post but this was one of m favorite lines from the film....

I remember one morning getting up at dawn, there was such a sense of possibility. You know, that feeling? And I remember thinking to myself: So, this is the beginning of happiness. This is where it starts. And of course there will always be more. It never occurred to me it wasn't the beginning. It was happiness. It was the moment. Right then.

Blades of GloryHAHAHAHAHA....
Cutting Edge meets Zoolander.

Little Women: I feel similar feelings towards this moving like I feel about Pride and Prejudice. I love this film and it always makes me feel safe. My favorite moment:

Oh, Jo. Jo, you have so many extraordinary gifts; how can you expect to lead an ordinary life? You're ready to go out and - and find a good use for your talent. Tho' I don't know what I shall do without my Jo. Go, and embrace your liberty. And see what wonderful things come of it.

Dan in Real Life: It was cute. Steve Carell is captivating and you feel and sense the pain. I love this last line....
Instead of telling our young people to plan ahead, we should tell them to plan to be surprised.

Outfoxed: The War on Journalism Great documentary on media manipulation. There are a lot of good reaction points and something we need to be in aware of on a regular basis.

No comments: