Sunday, May 3, 2009

Mastodon....


Mastodon : Live at the Crofoot.

Friday I had the privilege to see Mastodon with Kylesa at the Crofoot. I have been to a lot of shows in my age (27) anywhere from my first (Dave Matthews Band) to some great metal and hardcore, Wilco, TV on the Radio, and Radiohead nights of genius and wonder.

I can honestly say that Mastodon put on one of the greatest shows I have seen in quite some time and maybe almost ever. I am not a typical Metal-head. I love slow jams, pop jams, rock jams, etc. I don't know the guitar player who originally played for Ozzy Osbourne on a tour in 1984 or obscure bands with some amazing riffs but I do know that I love music that is heavy and smart. That's where Mastodon comes in.

Mastodon is smart, heavy, technically brilliant, and continually aware of other musical concepts that influence their musical....dare I say...genius. They started the evening with playing the newest record Crack the Skye from beginning to end. A seven song epic record that swoops and swells. It reminds me of a mid-90s grunge, heavy, rock record. The recording to be completely honest is okay but seeing them live it really came alive. The brightness of the guitar tones mixed with the heaviness of the double kick drum really came alive that evening

After finishing the record they took what one may consider a break and came back and played for another hour and a half. It only got better, playing songs that were off old records...my favorite "Blood and Thunder" and "Iron Tusks" from Leviathian.

If this band comes into your town. Please go. Please do yourself this favor and go. It was so good. Technically brilliant. Musically a dream. It's been a few days since I went and I am still feeling the effects of just how great of a band they were. So good. So tight. So together as a band. Go....Go now.

Tour dates that are left:
May 4 Le National Montreal, QC
May 5 Opera House Toronto, ON
May 7 House of Blues Boston, MA
May 8 TLA Philadelphia, PA
May 9 Fillmore @ Irving Plaza New York, NY
May 10 Music Hall of Williamsburg Brooklyn, NY
May 12 9:30 Club Washington DC
May 13 Cat’s Cradle Carbarro, NC
May 14 Orange Peel Ashville, NC
May 15 Center Stage Atlanta, GA

1 comment:

Matt DeBenedictis said...

Glad you got to see Mastodon. Let me tell you this, listen to 'Crack the Skye' on vinyl...enclose yourself in headphones. You will travel with the needle.