Sunday, July 26, 2009

Wilco...live in Detroit


I can say that I am one lucky lady to be able to see Wilco twice within the same week. Good luck and fortune rarely shows itself in this way and when it happens in this manner than I run with it and take full advantage.

Last Tuesday was Wilco at the Royal Oak Music Theatre in Michigan. Wilco indoors doesn't happen very often and going back into my memories I think it has been since 2005 where I saw them indoors. What a treat!! Indoors made a difference with hearing the delicate percussion lines in songs from Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and just how good Nels Cline really is.

I was lucky to have a space that allowed me to peer through the crowd and have a direct view of Nels' hands as they fly on this Jazzmaster. Holy crap...so good and so beautiful. The night was full of great jams both new and old. Nothing was better than the first encore with Poor Places into Reservations and then topping it off with Spiders (Kidsmoke). Those songs almost haunt me. It made me stop moving. Stand still. Listen. It was like I could see the ghosts of my past. The air in the room changed to like everyone was accessing a memory with a line like "I've got reservations, about so many things, but not about you."

The night was fun, lots of really good midwest jams. The crowd was so fabulous, singing along, having fun. I danced the whole evening and sang along on the top of my lungs. I was having a rough day and let me tell you Wilco (as promised) did make it better.

(Hummingbird LIVE)


Royal Oak Set List:
Wilco (the song)
Bull Black Nova
You Are My Face
IATTBYH
A Shot in the Arm
One Wing
Handshake Drugs
A Magazine Called Sunset
Deeper Down
Jesus, etc.
In A Future Age
Impossible Germany
I'll Fight
Summerteeth (started and restarted)
Sonny Feeling
Hate It Here
Can't Stand It
Walken
I'm The Man Who Loves You
Hummingbird

Encore
Poor Places
Reservations
Spiders (Kidsmoke)

2nd Encore
You Never Know
Heavy Metal Drummer
California Stars (w/female fan choir)
Red-Eyed and Blue
I Got You (At The End of the Century)
Hoodoo Voodoo
Kingpin
I'm A Wheel

No comments: