Wednesday, April 1, 2009

100 records 100 days challenge: Day One...#18 Postal Service: Give Up

DISCLAIMER**As I have pondered my challenge (and been told there are better records) and to that I agree. I am going to still do the challenge but some of the records might change. I recognize that it is supposed to be 'indie' records but what I am realizing is most of these are the first releases of records before they got picked up by a bigger label. Okay cool I get it but there are better records to talk about so I might pick them.

I will start here....


I don't know anyone who doesn't really like this record. The side project to Death Cab for Cuties Chris Walla and program smartie Jimmy Tamborello. I think we all know the songs from countless commercials...Apple and Ipods just to say a few off the top of my head. Intel using the idea of the video or the video itself for it's commercial.

The band's name was chosen due to the way in which they produced its songs. Tamborello wrote and performed instrumental tracks and then sent the DATs to Gibbard, who edited the song as he saw fit (adding his vocals along the way), sending them back to Tamborello via the United States Postal Service.


I have so many memories attached to this record. Driving on tour with Anah Aevia singing loud with my friend Lukey-T. Dancing on rooftops. Driving around in that convertible with the top down. Most of this music I love evokes many memories and this album evokes so many.

The record is fun and one of those records that is accessible without being heady and at the same time not so over produced that there are no fresh thoughts or ideas. It was good to hear it again. I close my eyes and see a time that no longer exists with people that are wonderful and fun.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

As you know one of my top five favorite records.

Matt said...

Clark Gable is a great song. I went through a time of roughly 21 days where it was the only song I would listen too.