Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Who will be the choice?

Super Tuesday seemed to just muddy things a bit. Things seem for the democrats still separated between Barack and Hillary. As I was pretty interested in what was going on I watched the returns on ABC. I don't know who said it but I heard a really interesting connection. A commentator mentioned that the 60+ age group is established with Hillary. It makes sense, it's a rational decision, it's safe, and this woman will be able to articulate and put into action established Democratic ideas.

Barack is someone who appeals to the 30 and younger crowd. These younger voters are willing to take a risk on someone who can change the way politics are played. There is a fresh voice and a fresh approach to how the White House could be run and people can be seen beyond their party affiliations. I think Barack is someone who can make a difference and change the way that the game is politics are played.

As I reflect on the candidates and this interesting population connection I realized it was because there are two distinctly different philosophical ideals in play. The philosophy of the older generation relies on modern processes of rationality and reason while the younger set is quite Post Modern with the ability to hold on to someone who is a risky choice because we are not sure how things quite can go but we need to believe in one another rather than relying heavily on a political system that shouldn't take care of all their problems.

Life is uncertain but I think it's worth the risk in believing in something beyond yourself and beyond what I just think and what I just believe. How do we listen to one another and hear one anothers needs?

1 comment:

Yeti said...

I like your comment "I think it's worth the risk in believing in something beyond yourself and beyond what I just think and what I just believe."
Well put - but politics do really tend to hurt my head :)