Thursday, April 17, 2008

The Avett Brothers @ the El Rey

I fell in love with the music of the Avett Brothers not to long ago. The record Emotionalism is a favorite as of late, for the americana feel and raw, passionate lyrics. My friend Travis and I went and saw the Avett Brothers at the El Rey a couple of weeks ago.

Seeing a band live is something that can make or break my experience. The Avett Brothers only made me love them more. Their energy and passion was overwhelming through the first songs, and they reeled you in with their energy, screams, beats, and fantastic lyrics. They are a band hailing from North Carolina where it's obvious that living in the South has shaped their musical personality. That was something I recognized when I walked out of the show. I was amazed at how they understood the music that came before them (Carter Family, Bluegrass) as well as knowing that you always need to push musical lines. They are definitely a group that understands where music also needs to reveal it's current place in history. Beautiful.

Some of our favorite tracks of the night:
"The Ballad of Love and Hate"
"Colorshow"
"Die Die Die"

Here is a video from the tour:


I am a sucker for the banjo. This night was fantastic. Something that only enhances the CD listening experience.

No comments: